Life is unpredictable, we all know that. One day you’re going about your usual routine – work, friends, the PTA – and the next day your boss calls and says he’d like you to move to Detroit. You have to sell your house. O.K. you say, but there are already three homes for sale on my street. What can I do?
Plenty, when you’re selling your house, you want it to look good, but when you have competition, it needs to look great. You want your house to stand out from the others, and the best way to do that is to make the exterior and interior sparkle and shine.
Here’s how you make you property stand out in a crowd.Exterior Home Staging Tips
• Paint your shutters and trim. A nice contrasting color will brighten and revitalize the look of your home.
• Look at your roof line, are the shingles in good shape? How about gutters and drainpipes? A good roof is important to a buyer, and while hanging gutters and leaning drainpipes are less of an issue, they detract from the overall appeal of your home.
• Front door needs to be maintained impeccably – the front door is the mirror of your home’s interior and for some buyers represents the rest of the home’s condition. A quick and inexpensive fix is to paint your door with an accent color that is carried throughout the house. If you have a wood door have it stained and lacquered.
• Place a new and attractive light fixture near your front door
• Spruce up the front porch, sweep, power wash, and get rid of cobwebs in corners and ceilings.
• Get a new mailbox. A rusty, dented version sends the wrong message.
• Install solar lights along walkways, and near important features
• New mulch in the flower bed makes a subtle but surprisingly effective difference.
• Arrange beautiful potted plants along your walk and entryway. Tall greenery on the front porch gives an illusion of height and grandeur to a one story home.
• Hang attractive curtains and keep them open. This gives a feeling of warmth, and beckons people in.
• Shiny, attractive and well- placed house numbers add a lot of bang for small bucks.
Landscape: you know when you drive by other homes and you see a yard in desperate need of a caring hand? And when you see a manicured lawn, your eyes feast on it? Yes, a home’s landscape matters!! You want your house to stand out from the others!Interior Home Staging Tips
Kitchen – the most important room in the house. If you have the money, re-do the kitchen. A remodeled kitchen can get you a return of 40-60%. If you don’t have the money, there are a couple of things you can do to make it look fresh: new appliances, change the countertops, paint the cabinets if they are old, change the hardware on the cabinets and change the faucet.
Bathrooms – one of the most important rooms in the house and one that brings you the most bang for your bucks. If old, it needs to be re-done entirely. A new bathroom can get you a 10-20% return. If you don’t have the money to replace the bathroom you can do some things that are not costly: paint, new toilet, clean the grout, new bath mat and shower curtain.
Flooring needs to be in great shape – Wood floors are a hit with buyers but if you cannot afford it, make sure your flooring is clean and in great condition. Quick once-over with the vacuum; carpets should be clean.
If your budget is tight follow the rule of divide and conquer. Make a list of the items needed to be changed and do them one at a time if necessary. These changes will go a long way and you will be on your way of selling your home.
Below are some other tips that will enhance your home’s interior features:
• Keep plumbing and all appliances in working order.
• Kitchen and bathroom should shine.
• Place fresh flowers in the main rooms.
• Put dishes away, unless setting a formal display for decoration.
• Keeps rooms tidy.
• Enhance the spaciousness of each room by not cluttering them with furniture.
• Open drapes and turn on lights for a brighter feel.
• Straighten closets.
• Put toys away.
• Keep pets out of the way and pet areas clean and odor-free.
Having your Florida home ready and looking its best both inside and out will absolutely make a difference when it is time to sell! Don’t forget how important to properly stage your home before putting it on the market. Keeping these tips in mind, will help you sell your home faster and for a better price.
The below home sale video offers additional home staging and preparation tips.